Friday, March 19, 2010

Clash of the Red Titans

So much has happened since I last blogged. I've really been super busy so I didn't get the time to write or even visit my own blog.

But all that's in the past. Let's look forward instead.

Bring on the Germans

The CL draw seems to have put MU in the easier half of the table, but all is not as rosy as it seems. First of all, we have Bayern Munich in the quarterfinals. Not the easiest of opponents for sure. Still, with the form Rooney is in, I think we can squeeze past them.

The reason why some people may think this is the easier half is because of the opponents MU will face in the semifinals. An all-French quarterfinals between Bordeaux and Lyon will see the victor earn the right to fight for a place in the finals with either MU or Munich. These two French teams are not chicken feed. Lyon knocked out Spanish giants Real Madrid and both are enjoying good form in their domestic league, especially at home.

Back to the Q-finals though. I think the match which will be most enticing will be the Arsenal-Barcelona bout. This is one game I don't want to miss.

So, will it be an all English final? We'll just have to wait and see.

And now, the main feature

MU entertain Liverpool on Sunday in what is an important game for both clubs. I'm sure I don't have to go into the why of it all.

The good news is that Giggs is back. I want him in the starting lineup. Of course, the other one I want to see and barring any mishaps, should see, is Rooney.

Other than that, I think we'll see VDS in goal, Rio and Vidic partnering each other again in what is a rare occurrence this season, Evra at leftback and possibly Neville at rightback.

I think Fergie will go for a five man midfield with Park and Nani on the wings and Giggs, Fletcher and either Scholes or Carrick in the middle.

Hargreaves may have made his comeback in a reserve game against Burnley recently, but don't bet on him being part of the squad this Sunday.

One of the big questions of the night will be whether Vidic can end the game on the pitch. Having been sent off in the last three encounters with Liverpool, all of which were won by the Merseysiders, let's hope Vidic can do better this time around.

Whatever the outcome, expect a fiery game with lots of tackles flying in and emotions running high, as all past games have proven to be just this. I always look forward to MU-Liverpool matches and this one is no exception.

My crystal ball says: MU by a one-goal margin and Vidic to finally stay the course

No comments: