Thursday, June 10, 2010

Almost there

As I write this, it is already Thursday, so the latest edition of the World Cup begins tomorrow. Am I ever eager to watch the matches.

I have to say, the Netherlands are looking good. If any team outside the seven who have already won are to win, my pick would be the Dutch. Having said that though, I have to say Spain looked terrifyingly efficient in that 6-0 drubbing of Poland.

Although the kickoff is tomorrow, the festivities actually start tonight, with a show that promises to sizzle. I don't think there has been any sporting spectacle where the festivities started the day before. Oh well, just sit back and enjoy I guess.

Wasn't actually going to write anything today, but saw this quote in the papers and just had to write it down here. Good sense of humour, that Kiwi coach:

"Not at all, I don't think it matters anything. Unless we get hammered in all three (group games) and then I'll tell you it did."
New Zealand coach Ricki Herbert, on whether having to cut short practice sessions due to the unhealthy air caused by smoke from households in the township outside the stadium would affect the team's performances.

No comments: