Friday, January 29, 2010

Toss the coin-tosser, blow the Gunners away

When I posted something last, I had forgotten one thing about which I had wanted to comment: the infamous coin toss.

No. I don't mean the one before the start of the game to determine which team kicks off and which half the other team starts in. I mean that toss which hit Craig Bellamy square on the head and sent him tumbling to the ground.

I wrote before how I thought Bellamy deserved to be carded for dissent for all the complaining and arguing he did during the game. So yes, I'm sure some of the MU fans, if not all, were irritated with him. But that coin should never have been tossed.

First of all, it could have injured him badly. Secondly, it has now gotten the club in trouble with the FA. That coin-tosser should be identified and tossed out of future United games at Old Trafford. In fact, his or her photo should be distributed to all stadia in the country and in countries where United games are played to ensure he or she is not in.

And that's just for starters. Every single book possible should be thrown at this so-called fan.

What's worse is that a bottle of cider was also thrown at Bellamy. A full bottle apparently. It was something I missed when I watched the game but photographers caught the dastardly act as the bottle was in flight.

It's possible that the coin actually saved Bellamy from worse injury. From the photos I saw, it seemed like the bottle missed because Bellamy went down after being hit by the coin. Toss the coin-tosser I say, and toss the bottle-tosser too. There is no place in a sporting event for people like these.

BRING ON THE GUNNERS

Bad news. Now that Ferdinand has been given an immediate four-match suspension for violent conduct, the defence is back to square one. He was playing well since coming back from the treatment table but now will have to sit out four matches. The reports I've been reading say it's an immediate suspension but do not say if there is an appeals process. Can anyone out there help me with this?

Expect a top class match at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday night. Both are fantastic sides but I think MU has an edge over Arsenal. The Gunners are the highest scoring side in the league but United has one of the best defensive records, and have scored only slightly less than Arsenal.

Arsenal players are skillful and play attractive football, but I notice that they tend to overpass the ball. It's almost as if they try to walk the ball into the net. While this may work against lesser teams, there is no way the United defence is going to allow this to happen.

Still no news about the MU lineup as I write this, but then again, the game is still two days away. Unfortunately, I won't be around this weekend so I'm writing this early.

On the Arsenal front, Eduardo has been ruled out and Vermaelen is doubtful. It was earlier feared that Vermaelen had broken his leg, but a scan has confirmed that the fears were unfounded. He still remains doubtful for the match, though, so new old boy Sol Campbell looks set to face United.

A thrilling match is definitely in store. And it will be a close one. But I still see United coming out on top.

My crystal ball says: Arsenal 0 MU 1

No comments: